Thursday, September 9, 2010

Hot off the Press

As I read about the different topics about the history of movable type, I thought of how much the printing press has changed the world.
I wonder what it must have felt like to hold the first newspaper or book. To look at words upon a page that was uniform and neat. The eloquence of handwriting changed to the professionalism of printing.
I looked up the meaning for the phrase "hot off the press". It is quite literal to its meaning. Basically, newspaper use to be printed with a hot metal press which involved molten lead that was formed to each letter. Figuratively, the phrase means an updated piece. If holding a new newspaper 'hot off the press' is anything like getting a load of laundry out of the dryer, I imagine it's a wonderful feeling.
If you compare that method of printing to perhaps printing a paper today or even publishing a blog post, I feel the effect is not as moving. Yes, I must say I have felt the sense of triumph after completing a difficult essay and finally hold it in my hands. But, is there an awe to it as it was back then?
It's interesting to see the transformation of printing type and how it has affected how we view and feel a printed work 'hot off the press'.

No comments:

Post a Comment