Sunday, September 12, 2010

Message Me

My group assignment project is: messaging.
I decided I would look into 4 different versions of messaging: MSN Messenger, Skype, Facebook Chat, & Text Messaging.
: The first type of digital messaging I experienced and used regularly was MSN Messenger. I was about 12 years old and thought it was just about the coolest thing ever created. By adding a contact by their e-mail, you could chat with them whenever they were online. The small emoticons were fun to use and gave the conversation some 'excitement'. You could post a status message and organize all your contacts into groups to easily access your "Best Buds" or "Family" or "People I'd Rather Not Talk To". Another positive to using MSN was that it was also my e-mail account so it seemed like an extension of e-mail into instant messaging. It had the best of both worlds. If anyone would like to know all the features of MSN, here's a link to the website that explains all its details and fun stuff: http://windowslive.com/desktop/messenger

: One type of messaging that I really enjoy and would encourage anyone to get it is SKYPE! Unlike Stickam, which is a video chatting community that allows any viewer to come in on your webcam conference, skype is much safer. Each user has a name and the only people that can find you are those that know your name, username, or e-mail. For added security, they cannot see whether you are online until you accept them. Skype allows for video chatting, phone calls, or instant chatting. Basically, skype is my favorite mode of messaging. It is safe, efficient, and fun to use! Here's a link to all the juicy details: http://www.skype.com/intl/en-us/features/


: Of course everybody knows Facebook. Facebook allows 3 different ways of talking: messages, wall posts, and Facebook chat (basically instant messaging). I have utilized all 3, I assume most people have. Messaging is useful when you'd like to share private matters or just wish to have a private conversation that extends over a longer period of time instead of instant. Wall posts are fun to do. Not many serious matters are posted on walls since they ARE public to everyone that sees the page. Facebook chat is useful in that it is instant chatting. I don't think many people need a separate link to facebook since it is probably already bookmarked on most people's browsers.






: A form of messaging that I'm pretty sure everyone has or knows is text messaging. It's simply and easy to use. Just type a quick message to a friend or parent and send it. How difficult is that? I really don't think I need to go in depth about texting.



With all the new forms of messaging now available, I've noticed that many problems have arisen that were not present before the new digital age. Now, people can video themselves doing inappropriate things. "Sexting" is another common problem that the effects can last a lifetime and beyond. Some things can be misinterpreted when read instead of heard and some friendships can become ruined. I remember when I was younger, I'd tell me friends to "Call me". Now, it has evolved to "Message me". But now, even that has to be clarified whether through text or Facebook or whatever other type of messaging is there. In the future, what will "Message Me" transform to?

3 comments:

  1. Awesome post! I think there are even more ways of doing quick message communication that could be discussed. Consider Facebook: you mentioned messages, wall posts and chats. What about how you can comment on wall posts and send event invitations? Or how about multimedia messages that can be sent over the phone?

    Messaging started out as a very one-on-one, text only, back and forth way of conversing and communicating. Now, messaging can include images, events, maps, and formated text. I would like to see how messaging will continue to evolve in the coming years.

    Oh did I mention... Isn't it interesting how these comment boxes still only let you type unformatted text. -no links, no pictures, nothing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good, concise overview of different modes of texting. I wonder if you could add an evaluative component -- which ones are best for which purposes? Or is there even a problem in diversifying the kinds of texting or messaging that one does? For example, if you can chat instantly online with people via Skype, Facebook, Google Chat, and MSN -- doesn't this start to get cluttered?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had no idea about Skype until my mission and my sister and mom emailed me telling me about it. I'm glad to learn a little bit more about it.

    I kind of agree with Dr. Burton. There are about a million ways to communicate with people and it's kind of getting confusing to jump between them. I think that's why I just stick with one or two.

    ReplyDelete