Friday, November 12, 2010

Another Reflection

Unrelated question: does anyone else think of the song from Mulan anytime someone says "Reflection??"

So the time has come again for me to reflect the past few weeks of Digital Civilization.
I've found that I have enjoyed some of the topics more than the last midterm. For example, the Industrial Revolution was a period I really had fun looking up facts for. Something I've realized as this class has continued, I can look for things about the historical periods that I'd actually be interested in studying and learning about more.
I think the problem I have sometimes is that I will spend 2+ hours researching and learning about the different class topics, but I won't be able to come up with anything I would be remotely be interested in blogging about. I figure why should I write a whole blog post about something that I really have no desire to blog about. I suppose I should still write something but how can I expect anybody to read my post if I have no interest in the topic at hand. For example, the Atomic Age, the most recent topic. While most would probably call me crazy for not finding anything interesting about it, but to me the Atomic Age = science. And I have no passion or the slightest interest in the science. I looked up how the Atomic bomb came to be and how Einstein helped progress the invention of it. I researched how the Atomic Age molded society into what it was today. But it didn't spark any fire in me to write anything about it.
I love the freedom that this class gives to allow me to research topics so that I can look for details that I would enjoy reading about. But sometimes I don't know how to relay the topics that I haven't seen any interest in.

As for computing concepts, it's been really interesting learning about all the different info Dr. Zappala has researched on. I find it really entertaining to see that he enjoys what he is teaching so much and it makes my learning experience that much better. Same goes to Dr. Burton with digital literacy and historical concepts. It's really nice to see teachers truly enjoy what they are teaching.

I think I am still trying to understand how I actually learn the best. Even though the class is more than half-way through, the process to understanding my self-directed learning is going to take much more than a semester. But I do believe that this class has helped speed up the process a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment