Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Two Point. Oh!

Does anyone remember classrooms with chalkboards?

Has anyone NOT seen or used a SmartBoard?


The way the classroom is taught has been completely revolutionized. I remember (for a very very brief time) when the teacher would get covered in chalk dust, the sound of the chalk tapping along as the teacher wrote, the distressed groan whenever the chalk broke in half..

Then for a very long time, whiteboards were the next big thing. The 'delicious' smell of Expo markers, the occasional squeak from the marker, the annoyed yell whenever the marker ran out.

Then of course came along projectors with transparencies.

Then projectors that connected with the computer.

And now, SmartBoards.
If you don't know what a SmartBoard is, it is a big white screen that is mounted on a wall or whatever place, and a projector projects onto it basically a computer screen and it is touch-sensitive and allows the user to navigate with the touch of their finger.

I'm proud to say I have been able to live from the end of the chalkboard to the new age of classroom of technology. It's been an interesting journey. And with all the new types of learning out there available, I still find I learn best when the teacher simply stands, talks, and writes. A powerpoint is nice, but I never really retain anything the first time I see it, and most of the time I'm scrambling to write the important stuff down whilst reading it all, I usually just see words on a screen. I also find that I have a much better relationship with the teacher as well.


So my question is...
when will the learning helmets that connect to our brain come?

No comments:

Post a Comment