Wednesday, October 20, 2010

The Marriage of Heaven and Hell

The book our group chose to read was The Marriage of Heaven and Hell by William Blake. It was originally published through "illuminated printing" which was using etched copper plates to print pages that were then colored by hand. Only 9 copies are known to exist.
This book is satirical in nature and was actually entertaining to read his thoughts on religion and morality.
My favorite, and what Blake is best known for, is his "Proverbs of Hell" which contain 70 axioms.

The short book follows the theme of
"Good is the passive that obeys Reason. Evil is the active springing from Energy."
Blake satirically mocks ancient prophets, apostles, and even Jesus Christ but not to discredit them. It adds humor to religion and supports his view that "for every thing that lives is Holy."


I made a Wordle with the Proverbs of Hell section of the book. As seen, some of the most recurring things are God and man. Blake's 70 axioms are both humorous and good principles to follow.

I created a Microsoft PowerPoint of my 9 favorite and what I believe to encompass the entire book's message. [I then uploaded the PowerPoint to slideshare and it took away all my fun custom animations. bummer]

No comments:

Post a Comment