Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Mini-Book Club Book List

For my book list, I tried to look for books about a specific person or event that was included in the historical periods provided. Personally, I learn and understand history better when I'm following a story through that period.

Uprising by Margaret Peterson Haddix [Historical Fiction]
 In the spirit of my last blog post, this book follows 3 girls whom lives' were tied to the Triangle Factory. These 3 best friends come from different backgrounds but all are fighting for rights for the women working in the factory. It includes the horrible working and living conditions. This book documents the working girl's life and what occurred the day of the Triangle Factory Fire.
I almost scratched this book off just because of the title, but then I started reading the description and reviews. It follows Matthias the Prophet and his influence in 19th Century America. It documents the Second Great Awakening and includes some detail about the rise of new sects during this movement (such as the LDS church). This book basically follows a cult leader's journey and experience. (Side note to my book club pals: I'm leaning toward this book)
The Great Labor Uprising of 1877  by Philip S. Foner [Non-Fiction]

This book is about the Railroad Strike of 1877 when railroad workers in Martinsburg, West Virginia walked off the job to protest a 10% cut in their wages. This strike scaled upward to violence. It is an interesting and detailed account of the strike and how it affected America. 
Follows the life of Elizabeth Gurley Flynn, a hardcore labor movement activist. She helped organize many labor unions. She also joined the American Communist Party and became a chair in the party.

1 comment:

  1. The "Kingdom of Matthias" book sounds really good. We'll talk more tomorrow, don't forget to check out my books! =)

    ReplyDelete